Do You Have a Zinc Deficiency?
Zinc is often referred to as an "essential" trace element. As such, it helps perform multiple important cellular processes in the body. Severe zinc deficiency is quite rare, however many people are mildly to moderately zinc deficient but are not aware. Take this quiz to determine if you have a zinc deficiency.
Each of the following is worth one point. Which of the following apply to you?
1. lack of appetite or anorexia
2. lack of taste
3. white spots on the fingernails
4. reduced sperm count and/or infertility
5. lack of the sense of smell
6. chronic or recurrent ear infections
8. slow growing hair and/or nails
9. increased susceptibility to colds, flu, or other infections
10. hair loss
11. prostate problems
12. delayed wound healing
13. geographic tongue
14. growth impairment
15. light-colored pigment of the hair
17. blood sugar disturbances
18. dry and/or brittle hair
19. excessively dry or oily skin
20. sties on the eyelids
22. premature graying of the hair
23. irregular menstrual cycles
25. delayed sexual maturity
26. growing pains
27. sore or inflamed cracks in the skin at the fingertips
29. chapped or split lips
30. recurrent vaginal yeast infections
31. sensitivity of the eyes to light
32. enlarged facial pores
33. Do you consume refined sugars on a daily basis?
34. Do you consume alcoholic beverages on a daily or weekly basis?
35. Are you a diabetic?
36. Do you develop canker sores or other oral ulcerations?
37. Do you have a history of gout?
38. Do you consume large amounts of whole grains and/or grain brains on a daily basis?
39. Do you take diuretics on a daily or weekly basis?
40. Do you suffer from repeated bouts of chronic skin infections?
41. Do you suffer from recurrent urinary tract infections?
42. Does your skin sunburn easily, or do you develop sun-induced rashes?
43. Do you have difficulty digesting meat or other protein-rich foods?
44. Do you have a history of detached retina or retinal bleeding?
45. Do you have macular degeneration?
46. Do you exercise vigorously on a daily basis?
47. Have you experienced prolonged periods of psychic stress?
48. Do you suffer from duodenal ulcer, or have you had duodenum removed?
49. Do you develop urinary tract infections frequently?
50. Do you suffer from pancreatic disease?
51. Do you suffer from osteoporosis?
52. Do you have biliary sclerosis and/or hepatitis?
53. Do you take cortisone on a daily or weekly basis?
54. Do you take birth control pills?
55. Do you take large amounts of supplemental calcium on a daily basis?
Your score: ______
1-7: Mild zinc deficiency.
8-16: Moderate zinc deficiency.
17-29: Severe zinc deficiency.
30 and above: Extreme zinc deficiency.
Reversing a zinc deficiency will make a major positive impact on your health. It can help with immunity, brain function, healing and tissue building. A Nutrolution RD can help you make the proper dietary changes to correct a zinc deficiency. We are in-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield and Medicare. Call or contact us below to verify your nutrition benefits and get started on a personal nutrition program!
(Prasad, et. al 1993).
For more information, check out our research and references page here.