But, a person with morbid obesity or "pre-morbid obesity" may have difficulty performing daily functions, such as walking and breathing. It often affects quality of life by creating feelings of low-self esteem. And, perhaps the most important problems of being obese or morbidly obese is the sharply increased risk for many serious health problems.
What Defines Morbid Obesity?
Morbid obesity is when a person has excessive amount of body fat and a body mass index or BMI greater than 35. Though some doctors also diagnose morbidly obese in patients with a BMI which isn't over 35, but they are more than 100 pounds overweight.
Here's a basic BMI Breakdown:
- Normal: 19.0–24.9
- Overweight: 25.0–29.9
- Obese stage 1: 30.0–34.9
- Obese stage 2: 35.0–39.9
- Morbidly obese stage 3: 40.0 or greater
What are the Serious Diseases that Obesity may Cause?
Truly, anyone can become obese or morbidly obese, though there are some factors that put a person at a greater risk.
What are the Risk Factors?
- Genetics: Research shows that family history matters. People with 1 or more morbidly obese family members are more likely to become morbidly obese themselves.
- Eating and Exercise Habits: The food a person chooses to eat and a person's activity level are key determining factors of weight gain and obesity of any level.
- Sleep habits: Being chronically underslept is proven to slow metabolism. As well people who don't get enough sleep tend to crave sugary caffeinated beverages and other carbohydrate dense and fatty foods.
- Stress: Stress and anxiety cause an increase in the hormone cortisol which causes someone to increase fat storage and gain weight.
Junk food & toxic buildup: When we consume more toxins that we can clear, those toxins can infiltrate the cells, slowing mitochondrial function. And, toxins in the blood can interfere with all aspects of metabolism. Toxins are found in junk foods under names such as but not limited to "artificial colors and flavors", preservatives, For some, metabolism slows down over the years as toxins build up in the cells and blood. Essentially your body has become less efficient and you may need to cleanse.
Being female: Women go through pregnancy weight again which can be difficult to take off and are also prone to gaining weight during menopause.
Certain medical problems: Some medical issues which can cause obesity include hypothyroidism, gut dysbiosis, and mitochondrial disease.
Some medications: Antidepressants and beta blockers have been shown to cause weight gain. There are other medications which can directly or indirectly cause weight gain through increased toxic load and metabolic slow down.
Aging: Part of this is natural and healthy; as the bones lose density, metabolism slows to account for the risk of becoming sick and unable to eat. Also, fat storage goes up to protect brittle bones, which tend to occur the older we become.
Most Importantly, is there a Solution?
For most people, morbid obesity is preventable and can be reversed. We highly recommend an intergrated and personalized approach which includes:
- Healthy Eating Plan, created ideally by Registered Dietitian with an emphasis on culinary nutrition so you can enjoy delicious, but healthy foods.
- Weekly Nutritional Counseling, to help you stay the course, trouble shoot, and add new recipes and help with restaurant and other choices.
- Physical Activity, structured and unstructured, even perhaps working with a personal trainer for safety, maximum efficacy, and stick-to-it-iveness
- Psychology, if that is a factor. Overeaters anonymous or a personal counseling who focuses on any emotional factors that may be triggering overeating.
- Nutritional Supplements, certain nutrients such as vitamin B's, minerals, and specialized nutrient and plant compounds such L-carnitine, Garcinia and Green tea can support and boost metabolism greatly.
We are licensed nutritionist-dietitians who are skilled at supporting your weight loss needs, particularly in developing a healthy weight-loss meal plan, nutritional counseling and nutritional supplementation.
For a limited time and to help you jumpstart weight loss, you can Save $15 off one of our favorite weight loss products- Weight Loss Support Packs as well as an Initial Consultation -we will help you create a meal plan, and create a program tailored for you. Don't delay on your health and weight loss goals. Weight loss is a natural and rewarding experience. We have helped others lose over 50 pounds, and we'd love to do the same for you!
SAVE $15.00 off of the above products and services by entering "LoseWeight2018" during check out.